Saturday, January 19, 2008

breakfast and supper

Breakfast this morning:
example
I'm finally, slowly, starting to explore my new cookbooks, starting with Mollie Katzen's "Overnight Waffles" from Sunlight Cafe. First yeasted waffle I've ever made, and I will keep making them! The overnight batter is incredibly easy to prepare, and the waffles are crisp on the outside, fluffy and chewy and heavenly on the inside. They need nothing more than a teensie dab of butter and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Mmmm. (P.S. I used whole-wheat pastry flour.)

Dinner tonight:
example
Collard Green & Black-Eyed Pea Soup, (the vegetarian version,) from a recent edition of Eating Well magazine. Very simple to prepare, very healthful, and very tasty! The vegetables are bright and present, the peas are creamy, and there's just a slight amount of heat underlying from some chili flakes. Yum.

I also made cornbread muffins to go with my soup, which I did not take a picture of, but I have to say, since I've started using yogurt instead of milk in my cornbread, the quality has improved significantly! It has been named "the best" by Dan, (my most important critic, obviously,) because, I think, the extra acid in the yogurt causes the cornbread to bake up fluffy and tender, even when using whole-wheat pastry flour. Bonus!

Otherwise, it's been a quiet weekend here -- the high temps are in the negative degrees this weekend, so it's a good time to hole up with a book, a cup of tea, and some more soup! (Well, and the laundry, later this evening. Those chores always seem to get in the way, don't they?)

Stay warm, everybody!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That soup looks so good and perfect for our bitter freezing cold weather! I made red lentil stew today--it helped warm up the apt too!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

Yum and Yum!

bazu said...

Wow, those waffles look amazing! I love yeasty batters- could you tell me if, by any chance, this waffle recipe is vegan? Thanks!

Catherine Weber said...

Bazu, the waffles were not vegan, but I think they could be easily veganized. Batter recipe:

Combine and let sit, covered, overnight on the counter (or in the fridge if it's above 70 degrees F):
2 cups flour (I used whole-wheat pastry)
1 teaspoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk (I used almond)

The next morning, whisk in:
6 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine, obviously)
1 large egg (or egg equivalent)

Enjoy!

bazu said...

Thanks, Catherine! Those sound so good- and you're right, I think easily veganizable.