Sunday, February 26, 2012

so much for that hiatus

So much for my blogging hiatus. :) John cooked dinner on Friday night, and insisted I take a picture and blog about the meal he planned, shopped for, and prepared! I was forced to sit on the couch during dinner prep, and was not allowed to help at all. Being "lazy," especially regarding stuff in the kitchen, is challenging for me, but it was definitely nice to relax while someone else did all of the work!

Lookit:

"Tortellini with Nutty Herb Sauce," from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook. This was a rich and flavorful pasta dish, that could have only benefited from a little lemon zest to wake things up, and maybe a green salad on the side to lighten things up. :) Well done, John!

(P.S. John kept calling this dish "pasta with creamy nut sauce." I shake my head.) :)

And here was breakfast this morning:

John requested cornmeal pancakes, and after an extensive internet search, we found a recipe that was . . . okay. The batter was far too thin, (I ended up adding quite a bit more flour,) and far too low-fat for my tastes, but I think I have a good idea of how I'd like them to be next time. :) We had a couple of Morningstar veggie breakfast patties on the side, and plenty of strawberries tossed with a little sugar and lemon zest on the pancakes. Delicious!

Here's what I think might make ideal cornmeal pancakes . . .

Dry ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Wet ingredients:
2 cups buttermilk (2 tsp vinegar + 2 cups milk, which is what we used this morning)
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

Ideas? Input?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! So glad you're not hiatus-ing on us! John's meal looks delish!

Anonymous said...

Wait, you were forced to sit? Uh, I'd roll over and think I was in heaven if I was 'forced' to sit and let someone cook yummy vegetarian foods for me..

Enjoy it friend!!