YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 1/4 c sour cream or light sour cream
- 1/4 c prepared salsa
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4-8 oz chorizo, cooked, crumbled, and cooled
- 4 oz Monterey Jack or pepper-jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large or 2 small bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large or 2-3 small tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2-3 hearts of romaine, shredded
- 1-2 cups corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- Make the salsa dressing: stir together the salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.
- Pack the salads: divide the dressing evenly among 4 tall quart-sized containers. Layer the black beans, chorizo, cheese, red onion, bell pepper, tomato, green onion, and romaine in the jars. Divide the tortilla chips evenly among 4 snack-size zip-top bags for each salad. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl. Top with tortilla chips.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Substitute 1 cup canned black beans for the cooked black beans. Use pre-shredded cheese and pre-washed/bagged lettuce.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: For a vegetarian salad, omit the chorizo and increase the black beans to 2 cups. For a vegan salad, make all of the vegetarian swaps, plus omit the cheese and use your favorite vegan sour cream in the dressing. For a gluten-free salad, choose tortilla chips that are made from 100% corn, and use dressing ingredients labeled gluten-free. This salad is nut-free as-is.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.