Monday, September 12, 2005

happiness is . . . chocolate chip cookies!

If any of you know the Broadway musical "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown," you'll get my reference in the title. If not, it's still pertinent.

I never posted my recipe for healthfully updated chocolate chip cookies the other day, because I wasn't completely sure about them. I've been munching on them the past few days, and have decided I LOVE them. So, I'm sharing. (The recipe, that is. The cookies are MINE!) For some odd reason, they are especially tasty chilled. This recipe makes about 30 small cookies. (Half what a standard cookie recipe makes. I can't eat a whole batch of cookies by myself, however much I might want to.) These are higher in fiber/whole grain, lower in fat, and lower in sugar than a traditional CCC, but taste pretty damn fabulous. Here goes:

2 tablespoons butter (you could also use margarine)
1/3 cup natural sugar/raw sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
6 tablespoons low fat vanilla yogurt (or soy yogurt)
2 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer (found in the natural foods aisle -- you could use 2 egg whites instead, but your dough may be a bit runnier)
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup grain-sweetened chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips)

1. Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the vanilla, yogurt, and egg replacer.
2. Stir in the oats, flour, salt, and soda. Gently stir in chips.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoon fulls onto ungreased cookie sheets. (These cookies don't spread much, so feel free to jam them together on the baking sheets to speed things up. You may also want to squash them flat a bit, otherwise you'll have little round balls instead of cookie-looking things.) Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 350. Cool.

Enjoy, my friends.

You know, I post all of these crazy recipes up here, but I never hear back from you all as to whether you've tried any of these yourselves! I'd love your feedback, especially since a lot of this baking/cooking is experimental and in the early stages of development. (And if you don't want to make a whole batch of cookies and live nearby, I might be persuaded to share one, just to receive feedback. Just one, though!)

No comments: