Sunday, August 13, 2017
Sunday, August 06, 2017
Despite the unusual growing season we are having in Minnesota this year, we are finally starting to get some tomatoes out of our garden (and loads of lettuce and basil!) I can't think of a more fitting way to feature the season's freshest garden tomatoes than in a caprese salad - tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and greens simply dressed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Check lunch off the list this week with this fresh and flavorful salad!
YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4-8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 (or more) cups tomatoes, halved or roughly chopped (depending on size)
- 1/2 c fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz mixed baby greens
- Pack the salads: add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp vinegar to each of 4 tall quart-sized containers. Season with salt and pepper. Layer the mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and mixed baby greens in the jars. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: This salad is vegetarian, gluten-, and nut-free as-is. For a vegan salad, substitute your favorite vegan mozzarella for the dairy mozzarella.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.
around 4:07 PM