Late summer often means a bounty of fresh zucchini, and this salad is a delicious and unique way to enjoy it! The lemony dressing and crisp veggies lend this salad a light, summery freshness, while the hearty richness of edamame, chickpeas, and parmesan keep you feeling satisfied. This was an early salad we tested when we were first exploring this blog project, and remains one of our all-time favorites. Wrangle up some zucchini this week (if you know anyone who has a garden, I bet that won't be difficult,) and give this salad a try!
YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c frozen shelled edamame, thawed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas, patted dry
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2-3 hearts of romaine, shredded
- Make the zucchini salad: in a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Fold in the edamame, chickpeas, zucchini, red onion, Parmesan, and basil.
- Pack the salads: divide the zucchini salad evenly among 4 tall quart-sized containers. Divide the romaine evenly among the containers. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Use 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry, for the home-cooked chickpeas.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: This salad is vegetarian, nut- and gluten-free as-is. For a vegan salad, substitute sliced or slivered almonds for the parmesan, and pack on the side.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.