Despite the unusual growing season we are having in Minnesota this year, we are finally starting to get some tomatoes out of our garden (and loads of lettuce and basil!) I can't think of a more fitting way to feature the season's freshest garden tomatoes than in a caprese salad - tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and greens simply dressed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Check lunch off the list this week with this fresh and flavorful salad!
YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4-8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 (or more) cups tomatoes, halved or roughly chopped (depending on size)
- 1/2 c fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz mixed baby greens
- Pack the salads: add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp vinegar to each of 4 tall quart-sized containers. Season with salt and pepper. Layer the mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and mixed baby greens in the jars. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: This salad is vegetarian, gluten-, and nut-free as-is. For a vegan salad, substitute your favorite vegan mozzarella for the dairy mozzarella.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.