Friday, November 10, 2006

Friday Night Baking Project

example
Corn muffins (they are quite dark due to the whole wheat pastry flour and the local honey that I used,) to go with . . .

example
Chili for dinner! My freezer is my very best friend during busy times. And yes, that is an avocado bowl on the side -- dribbled with balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with kosher salt. (I really ate the entire avocado, but the first half went down while I was waiting for the muffins to finish baking!) And I did eat two muffins, too -- I figured I was allowed a somewhat fat-filled, stuffed-full type of dinner, since I seem to have mysteriously lost three pounds since I weighed myself last . . . !

Happy weekend, everyone! I have no plans thusfar, and hope to rest and relax and de-germ!

7 comments:

bazu said...

That looks like a fantastic, warming dinner. The avocado reminds me of how we often eat them, a sprinkle of vinegar or tamari, and a bit of salt- it really is perfect that way!

OkraMary said...

OMG! I made chili and cornbread, too!

I'd like to pretend that we're on some crazy, eye-to-eye, wavelength thing...but it's chili cornbread weather.

Well - it was 70 degrees today here in Virginia, but I'm sure it's chili cornbread weather where you are!

theONLYtania said...

Hey, that chili looks great.. so different. Carrots, corn and some kind of greens? Things I've never put in chili, but maybe I should.. mmm.

Catherine said...

Bazu, I just got back from the grocery store and am now regretting NOT purchasing another avocado! Alas . . . !

Mary, it is absolutely chili and cornbread weather here, because it's FREEZING outside! The current temp is 32, although it is sunny, which is nice. :)

Tania, you've never put corn in chili before?!?!?!!! The horror! :) This chili was actually a cleaning out the veggie drawer type of chili -- there's carrot, celery, onion, corn (from the freezer), tomatoes (from a can), a jalapeno, a green pepper, garlic, yukon gold potato, and some kale in it, as well as black and pinto beans, and spices. I love that about chili -- that you can use up produce that would otherwise go bad, and it still somehow tastes fabulous!

raising_kahne said...

I need some chili here! It's getting pretty cool. : ) Aren't avacados awesome?! I love them so much, I wish they werent so expensive though. The cornbread looks crispy amd yummy too!

Amber said...

Mmmm! Love Chili!
Amber

Claire said...

That soup/chili looks SO good. Do you have a recipe for it?