YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 c prepared BBQ sauce, divided
- 1/4 c ranch dressing
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 ears corn, grilled, cooled, and kernels cut off cobs
- 2-4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 hearts romaine, shredded
- 1-2 cups tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- Make the BBQ chicken: marinade the chicken thighs in 1/4 cup BBQ sauce for 2-12 hours. Grill or roast the chicken. Cool, then dice or shred the chicken.
- Pack the salads: add 1 tbsp ranch dressing and 1 tbsp BBQ sauce to each of 4 tall quart-sized containers. Layer the chicken, black beans, red onion, corn, cheese, tomato, and lettuce in the jars. Divide the tortilla chips evenly among 4 snack-size zip-top bags for each salad. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl. Top with tortilla chips.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Substitute prepared rotisserie chicken for the marinated, grilled chicken thighs. Substitute canned black beans for the cooked black beans. Cook 1 cup frozen corn kernels in 2 tsp olive oil until lightly browned, and substitute for the grilled corn.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: For a vegetarian salad, substitute extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed, for the chicken. For a vegan salad, substitute tofu for the chicken, vegan cheddar for the dairy cheese, and also your favorite prepared creamy vegan salad dressing for the ranch dressing. For a gluten-free salad, choose ranch and BBQ sauce labeled gluten-free, and choose 100% corn tortilla chips. This salad is nut-free as-is.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.