Sunday, April 23, 2017

Vietnamese Noodle Salad

Thank you to Pinch of Yum for the inspiration for this salad.  When I saw her recipe for "Vietnamese Chicken Salad with Rice Noodles" several years ago, I knew I had to make a vegetarian version ASAP.  The sweet-salty-spicy-tangy dressing called to me, and I have an almost unholy love of rice noodles.  I gathered and prepared my ingredients, swapping in browned tofu for the chicken, and I also decided to pack my salads "upside down," in a few quart-sized mason jars I had lying around, in imitation of my coworker who had been bringing salads to work for lunch in just such a fashion.  This recipe was, indeed, my first-ever attempt at a mason jar salad lunch!  I have fond memories of enjoying this salad while hanging out in the car in-between home visits on a cold, grey, January afternoon.  This salad brightened up my day then, and I hope it does to yours this week!



YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 4 tbsp low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
  • 6 tbsp lime juice
  • 6 tbsp canola oil
  • 3 serrano peppers, sliced
  • 6 oz rice noodles, prepared, rinsed under cool water, and drained well
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, grilled or roasted and shredded
  • 1 large carrot, peeled, halved, and sliced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • 1 small bunch green onions, sliced
  • 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1 package fresh mint leaves, julienned
  • 1 small head napa cabbage, shredded


DIRECTIONS:
  1. Make the serrano-lime dressing: combine the garlic, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, and oil in a pint-sized mason jar.  Puree and emulsify the dressing using a handheld stick blender.  (Alternately, puree and emulsify the dressing ingredients using a blender or mini food processor.)  Stir in the sliced serranos.
  2. Pack the salads: divide the dressing evenly between 4 tall quart-sized containers.  Layer the noodles, chicken, carrot, bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, mint, and cabbage in the jars.  Refrigerate until serving.
  3. Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Use rotisserie chicken in place of the grilled or roasted chicken thighs.

SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: For a vegetarian/vegan salad, substitute grilled or broiled tofu for the chicken..  For gluten-free diners, use gluten-free tamari.  This salad is nut-free as-is.

Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.

No comments: