As we gear up in the U.S. to celebrate Independence Day tomorrow, I'm finding fireworks are very polarizing ... some people love 'em, some people (and dogs) loathe 'em. This slaw, however, is far less polarizing - the tangy-sweet dressing and bold, crunchy, colorful veggies make everyone happy! Happy Independence Day to all!
YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp sugar
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, grilled or broiled
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 c cilantro leaves
- 1 small green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 small bunch collard greens, stemmed and shredded
- Pack the salads: add 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, and salt and pepper to each of 4 tall quart-sized containers. Layer the jalapeño, chicken, corn, carrot, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, cabbage, and collards in the jars. (You may have extra cabbage or collards; reserve for another use.) Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl. Top with almonds.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Use pre-shredded coleslaw mix (green and red cabbage and carrot) in place of the cabbage, carrot, and collards.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: For a vegetarian/vegan salad, substitute grilled or broiled tempeh for the chicken. This salad is gluten- and nut-free as-is.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.