Friday, April 06, 2007

a very disjointed post:

I have been wanting to tell you all about my most recent addition to my kitchen arsenal, but I keep forgetting! So, here it is:
example
My grandma and grandpa sent me $10 in a letter not too long ago, and with my discount, I was able to buy a mortar and pestle for only a couple bucks out of my own pocket! I have been wanting one of these for ages -- handy for smashing up spices and ginger when making chai, pulverizing garlic cloves, and cracking cardamom pods when making Indian food. I've only used it once so far, but I can't tell you how much easier crushing spices was this time 'round! (I used to use my meat mallet to crush them on a cutting board . . . allspice bits flew everywhere!) Perhaps I can now finally give away my meat mallet -- I have found it handy for crushing garlic cloves, but not much else, since I quit eating meat a year and a half ago!

====

When Dan and I have sushi for dinner, there usually isn't much talking, because Dan likes to use so much wasabi in his soy sauce that it makes him cough and have watery eyes. (I enjoy a hefty but moderate amount of wasabi -- enough that I can feel it up in my nose, but not beyond that.) I just thought you'd like to see how much wasabi Dan enjoys with his sushi:
example
Super-Wasabi-Man decided that this wasn't quite enough for him after he mixed it in and took his first bite, so he actually added a bit more. (His soy sauce usually ends up a creamy brown color from so much wasabi!)

====

How's THAT for a vegan lunchbox!
example
Red pepper nori roll, edamame, and pickled ginger, with soy and wasabi for dipping.

====

I love polenta. SO much. My favorite method of polenta enjoyment is simple: a little pat of Earth Balance and a little drizzle of pure maple syrup.
example
Yummy.

That's all for today! I promise to post pictures of sushi making sometime this weekend.

2 comments:

theONLYtania said...

Hey I think my mom has that same mortar and pestle! Hehe. Gahhh that is so much wasabi! He loves it so much that he'll tolerate the ill effects? *shudders* That is a delicious looking lunchbox though.. Have a great Easter! :)

Anonymous said...

love how the lunchbox looks.
great mortar and pestle!