Wednesday, May 09, 2012

banana milkshake

I think I've finally hit that moment in my early 30s when my metabolism is slowing down . . . darn!  I was hoping spending my days chasing toddlers would take care of that.  ;)  Alas!  Anyhow, in order to avoid buying new pants, which I can't afford, I'm currently counting calories.  Again.  Ugh.  I'm not going to complain too much, but let's just say . . . I'm not a fan of feeling a little bit hungry most of the day, I'm not a fan of washing all of those extra measuring cups and spoons, and I'm not a fan of the tediousness of entering everything I put into my mouth into the app on my iPhone.

But there are some things I'm a fan of, like banana milkshakes:





















Containing nothing more than a frozen banana, a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a teaspoon of agave, some Penzey's "Baking Spice," and 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla, this baby is definitely more than the sum of its parts.  High in calcium, potassium, B6, C, E, and fiber, but low in cholesterol, low in fat, and low in calories, (at only about 160,) this is definitely a "bargain" dessert!  Sweet, creamy, flavorful, and delicious.

And I have to say, this whole "counting calories" thing isn't really all THAT bad.  It's forcing me to be more planful about my meals, which is a good thing, and definitely reminding me to be more mindful in my eating each day.  (Being around kids and their endless snacks can be challenging at times!)

Any other tips, ideas, or simple recipes you'd like to share?

With that said, I better go pack my breakfast and lunch now . . .

1 comment:

Braelin said...

I was inspired by your shake-- the one that I'm doing is using a 'regular' (unfrozen) 'nanna, soy milk, 1 tsp. maple syrup, vanilla extract, about a tsp. of cocoa powder and a dash of cinnamon. Yum! This is the perfect treat for me in the am. before jumping on my bike and heading into work in the morning.