Thursday, January 03, 2013

delayed soup

Here's that meal of wild rice soup and popovers I had planned for New Year's Eve!  A day late, but definitely not short at all.  :)
















Wild Rice Soup is a Minnesota thing, but I frequently can't enjoy it, as it almost always contains chicken.  I use this recipe as a base, adding a bunch more veggies, (using a full cup each of carrot, onion, and celery, plus three cups of mushrooms,) extra rice, and sometimes cubed seitan.  With these changes, and simply swapping in vegetable broth, you get a thick, rich, veggie-packed wild rice soup that I'd bet most omnivores would happily devour, never noticing the absence of chicken!

On the side . . .
















My popovers "popped over," but then they deflated a little.  Hmm.  They still tasted good, just weren't nearly as impressive as they could have been.  Anyone have thoughts on why this could have happened?

What are your family's New Year's traditions?

No comments: