Monday, April 04, 2005

curry craze

Lately, my favorite ingredient to cook with has been curry powder! I experimented with some on-hand ingredients and came up with . . .

Curried Chickpeas and Rice (1 serving)

1. Saute about a 1/4 cup sliced onion and 1 clove garlic, minced, in about 1 tsp olive oil until soft.
2. Add about 3 shakes curry powder, 1 shake ground ginger, 1 shake cinnamon, and 1 shake Garam Masala. (All these spices are to taste, of course.) Salt to taste. Add 1/4 cup Basmati rice. Cook a few minutes to lightly fry the rice and toast the spices -- brings out the flavor of both!
3. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and a small handfull of raisins (I used regular, but golden would have been nice, too.) Bring the rice to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to just simmering. Cook, covered, 15 minutes.
4. Stir in 1/2 cup canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed) and a really big handfull of baby spinach. Stir and cook just until the spinach wilts and the chickpeas are heated.

For some reason, I really love these 1 pot meals, too -- especially during the week. Less dishes.

The weather today was absolutely gorgeous -- we were outside nearly all day. Sigh. I'm so happy it's spring!

After work I skipped out on the all-staff meeting and went to Caribou instead -- I had a LOT of paperwork to catch up on. I powered through a bunch of stuff for conferences and our upcoming presentation in just a few hours.

I'm so confused by the change in time -- it's nearly 7:30 and I'm just now starting to get hungry. Yay! My rice is done!

(sllight pause while I finish cooking and take my first bites . . . )

YUUUUUUMMMMM! That's one I'll definitely make again.

I'm going to go and enjoy my dinner now . . . toodles!

No comments: