Sunday, April 03, 2005

spring at last, spring at last . . .

thank God Almighty, we have spring at last! I have spent so much time outside this weekend -- hooray! Emily and I went hiking at the Nature Center on Saturday, and today Ann and I walked around Lake Nokomis. Whee! I've also been getting lots of things done and watching lots of movies and I finished a book, too: Something Rising (Light and Swift) by Haven Kimmel. I think it's time to start reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

My alternate title for this blog was "Smooth Operator," because I just made the most awesome Banana Pumpkin Smoothie, courtesy of my most recent issue of Cooking Light. Here goes:

Chuck the following in the blender and blend until smooth (makes two 1-cup servings):

1 cup vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup canned pumpkin, chilled
1/2 cup ice cubes
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
dash cloves
1 ripe banana, sliced and frozen

This is a nice way to use up bananas that get away from me and I then chuck in the freezer with every intention of making banana bread, but never seem to get around to it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds tasty! Smoothies are my favorite way to get lots of fruit servings and to ensure I use my produce before it goes bad. Instead of using ice cubes, I cut up and freeze bananas right away so I can just throw chunks in the blender. Here's my favorite smoothie, so far:

One small carton of vanilla yogurt
One banana
One nectarine
A couple strawberries
A few big chunks of pineapple

Throw all in a blender. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Catherine! Your blog is awesome. I think this is a recipe that I will have to try this summer. :)