Sunday, April 03, 2005

spring at last, spring at last . . .

thank God Almighty, we have spring at last! I have spent so much time outside this weekend -- hooray! Emily and I went hiking at the Nature Center on Saturday, and today Ann and I walked around Lake Nokomis. Whee! I've also been getting lots of things done and watching lots of movies and I finished a book, too: Something Rising (Light and Swift) by Haven Kimmel. I think it's time to start reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

My alternate title for this blog was "Smooth Operator," because I just made the most awesome Banana Pumpkin Smoothie, courtesy of my most recent issue of Cooking Light. Here goes:

Chuck the following in the blender and blend until smooth (makes two 1-cup servings):

1 cup vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup canned pumpkin, chilled
1/2 cup ice cubes
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
dash cloves
1 ripe banana, sliced and frozen

This is a nice way to use up bananas that get away from me and I then chuck in the freezer with every intention of making banana bread, but never seem to get around to it!


Lauren said...

Sounds tasty! Smoothies are my favorite way to get lots of fruit servings and to ensure I use my produce before it goes bad. Instead of using ice cubes, I cut up and freeze bananas right away so I can just throw chunks in the blender. Here's my favorite smoothie, so far:

One small carton of vanilla yogurt
One banana
One nectarine
A couple strawberries
A few big chunks of pineapple

Throw all in a blender. Enjoy!

Marietta Diers said...

Hey Catherine! Your blog is awesome. I think this is a recipe that I will have to try this summer. :)