Thursday, February 23, 2006

CHOCOLATE!

I made the Chocolate Brownie Cake recipe originally from vegkitchen tonight, (see link over on the right,) but I can't seem to find the recipe on her website any longer, so I'll fill you in on the details:

First, whisk together:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add:
1 cup vanilla low-fat dairy or soy yogurt
1/4 cup low-fat dairy or soy milk
2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk all of the ingredients together until they are well blended. Fold in:
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch square pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until the cake tests done.


This is, by far, the best chocolate cake/brownie I've had made with no eggs, less sugar, and whole-wheat flour. Moist, cakey, only very slightly "nutty" tasting from the flour, and full of chocolate chips. I can down these chunks straight up, but they are especially excellent with a scoop of ice cream or vanilla Soy Delicious and a drizzle of hot fudge. Mmmmmm.........

My coworkers better enjoy this tomorrow -- it's a miracle I'm sharing it with them!

3 comments:

Dreena said...

You have lucky coworkers! Sounds yummy - did you use the soy yogurt or dairy-based in the batch you made? Love the name of your blog... :)

Catherine Weber said...

Thanks, Dreena! I used dairy yogurt and soy milk, but I have made them completely vegan in the past. (I am a L/O veg, but have a couple of coworkers who are dairy intolerant and/or vegan, so when I bake for them, I usually try to bake vegan, so everyone can partake.)

Dreena said...

Well, your coworkers should be even more appreciative of you for going to extra-special effort!! :)