Friday, December 07, 2007

holiday baking preview

It's been a busy week, what with work, trainings, choir practice, and general life getting in the way. I have been cooking a little, (I made a slow cooker baked bean recipe Courtney passed my way,) but mostly eating leftovers and simple things for dinner like oatmeal and frozen ravioli, (not at the same meal, I promise!)

Dan and I went to the grocery store last night and stocked up, so my posting dry spell will soon be over. In the meantime, a couple holiday baking preview photos:

example
I have only very recently acquired a kitchen scale, (this little model by Escali is affordable, comes in a vast array of colors, and gets the job done!), and I have to say, I'm really enjoying baking by weight. Why? Because I don't dirty measuring cups -- I just spoon in the ingredients, until I'm at the right weight for each ingredient. Tare, and spoon again!

example
Biscotti, after the first trip in the oven. The last tray is finally finishing up its second oven trip, as I type right now. (I'm trying to decide whether it's worth sticking them in the freezer for a week, or if I should just leave 'em alone and assume they'll stay fresh for a while, as long as they are tightly sealed?)

I forget how small my oven is, until I start large baking projects like holiday cookies. Grumble.

Anyhow, the biscotti are fabulous! (I just dipped one into my tea . . . yum!)

Happy weekend, everyone.

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, you've been busy for sure!! love the preview of your treats - the biscotti certainly DOES sound/look fabulous!! can't wait to see the rest of your holiday treats :0)

Anonymous said...

Your biscotti looks beautiful! I am so glad it turned out well. And I love that you use a scale to measure your ingredients! That must make for much more exact measurements...

Courtney

Shawn Powers said...

Biscotti is just cool, isn't it? I've never made any myself, but I've ingested more than my fair share. :)