Saturday, May 10, 2008

dinner last night

Since it was Friday night last night, I decided to make a more "special" dinner for Dan and myself, requiring a little extra cooking, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I had a recipe for "Beet-Top Crustless Quiche" from Vegetarian Times in the pile to try. I had sauteed the beet-tops earlier in the week, and was ready to make the quiche . . . after I made a whole-wheat crust, of course. :) I also roasted a 1.18 pound bunch of asparagus for a side dish. (The 1.18 pounds becomes more important later.) Photo:
example

And, Dan's second helping. I quote, "will you take a picture of this and put it on your blog?"
example
He described his sriracha art as a throwback to his younger days, when he thought anarchy was cool. Silly Dan.

After two servings of quiche for Dan and one for me, and the entire batch of asparagus, I guess we were ready for dessert. (Yes, the two of us ate over a pound of asparagus! So much for leftovers.) I made a quick raspberry-peach ice cream sauce:
example
We dumped the sauce over local vanilla ice cream, and went to town while we watched On a Clear Day.

It was a nice, relaxing Friday night! And of course, I saved the dishes for today. :)

P.S. Courtesy of wikipedia:

Asparagus
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 20 kcal 90 kJ
Carbohydrates 3.88 g
- Sugars 1.88 g
- Dietary fiber 2.1 g
Fat 0.12 g
Protein 2.20 g
Thiamin (Vit. B1) 0.143 mg 11%
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.141 mg 9%
Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.978 mg 7%
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.274 mg 5%
Vitamin B6 0.091 mg 7%
Folate (Vit. B9) 52 μg 13%
Vitamin C 5.6 mg 9%
Calcium 24 mg 2%
Iron 2.14 mg 17%
Magnesium 14 mg 4%
Phosphorus 52 mg 7%
Potassium 202 mg 4%
Zinc 0.54 mg 5%
Manganese 0.158 mg

(Woo! Look at all that iron!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at all that iron!! Good thing I eat asparagus 200 g at a time. :-D

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

looks like a great meal!! asparagus is my all-time favorite spring vegetable so it's good to know just how great it is, nutrition-wise!

Shawn Powers said...

Asparagus season is almost here... I can't wait for some fresh bits. The stuff at the store is as big as a baby's arm, and as tough as a truck tire. (How's that for weird visualization?)

J said...

This looks really good.

And don't feel bad about eating all that asparagus between the two of you, I could have done that on my own. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha...when I first saw Dan's second helping photo, I thought the sriracha was ketchup! I was thinking--what is he doing putting ketchup all over Catherin's beautiful quiche?!

Sounds like a nice Friday night!

Courtney
PS I am guessing I could eat a whole 1.18 pound of asparagus by myself! It is soooo good...

Steffi said...

I could eat that much asparagus on my own :) the quiche looks fantastic, too!

Alicia said...

Oh asparagus season: there´s nothing better! they are a bit overpriced here, even if they´re local, but whatever, it´s now or never until next year!