Wednesday, May 07, 2008

five or less . . . in real time!

The one thing I've noticed with this whole five or less policy I've instituted is that I really have to cook! It's a little strange, coming from me, but I have to tell you, I did rely on packaged breakfast cereals and a few other "healthy" convenience foods from time to time. However, I like this new routine, so far, and as long as I can continue to make time to cook (and bake,) I think the five or less rule will be here to stay.

With that said, I've been busy in my kitchen. Stuff:

Blueberry-lemon muffins I made last weekend:
example
I took a standard blueberry muffin recipe, used whole-wheat pastry flour, and added the juice from one lemon, the zest from two lemons, and a quarter-teaspoon of lemon extract. YUM. I only have one left, but I did send Dan home with five muffins on Sunday night.

The basic weekend breakfast:
example
We've been missing the kale at the co-op lately, but this week I decided to make Swiss Chard instead. It was a hit! Dan loved the little bits of stem intermingled with the greens. Hashbrowns and poached eggs, always. And, Dan's mom gifted us a couple of her grapefruit spoons, so Dan's much happier eating his grapefruit now. (I never had a problem with a regular spoon . . . am I weird?)

Sushi again:
example
Red peppers were NINE DOLLARS A POUND this past week at the co-op, so I opted to omit red pepper from my usual sushi rolls. Cucumber, avocado, and pickled radish nori rolls, with a side of steamed edamame. YUM, again.

Pasta salad:
example
Orzo, herbs, tons of veggies, chickpeas, and a little goat cheese (to quote the label, "made from milk from Minnesota Goats!") for good measure. Had some of this today -- pretty tasty!

I also made tempeh bacon sandwiches for dinner last night, with a side salad topped with beets and more goat cheese, but I forgot to photo. Sorry!

And lastly, look how happy Oliver is that it's finally spring:
example
I share his sentiments, exactly.

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

muffins + swiss chard + pasta salad = yum!!! :0)

haha, Oliver is too adorable!

Anonymous said...

Your sushi looks fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

that orzo salad looks really good and your sushi always looks perfect! what a great idea to add lemon to the muffins mmm

J said...

Oliver is adorable. Cats LOVE being in the window don't they?

By the way, I think it's awesome what you are doing to try to reduce your footprint. I too try to do that buy buying locally, only what I need, reducing my consumption of processed foods and growing my own.

Even when you do a lot there is still more that can be done.