Saturday, July 18, 2009

a little baking, a little shopping

I did manage to salvage a couple of the lemon bars I made the other night for a photo:
I've always loved lemon bars, and these are a HUGE hit with Dan. I'll have to remember this for our camping trip over his birthday, since I'm guessing a lemon merengue pie won't travel very well!

I also made some pumpkin bread (for breakfasts/snacks) yesterday:
I took great care in revamping this recipe to make it a little healthier, but still taste amazing, because in my opinion, pumpkin bread isn't pumpkin bread without a little low-fat cream cheese spread on top. :)

Recipe . . .

Whisk together:
2 whole eggs plus 3 egg whites (or egg replacer equivalent to 4 eggs)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup agave nectar
16-ounce can of pumpkin

Combine, then stir into above:
3 1/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I bet spelt flour would work well, too)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg)
1/2 tsp salt

Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch loaf pan, and bake for 1 hour at 350. Cool partially in the pan, before removing to a wire rack.

I also made a trip to the co-op yesterday:
Where are the green vegetables, you ask? I'm going to the farmer's market today, so there will be green vegetables, no worries. :)

The loot . . .

organic walnuts
local, organic, whole-wheat bread flour
local, organic, whole-wheat pastry flour
locally-roasted, organic, fair-trade coffee
organic, fair-trade natural granulated sugar

local Neufchatel

local, organic black peppercorns

Reeds ginger candy
organic white vinegar
organic applesauce
artichoke hearts
LaCroix sparkling water
spicy veggie juice (a treat for Dan, since it was on sale)
organic pumpkin puree
organic extra-virgin olive oil
organic lollipops (lunchbox treats!)

Burt's Bees conditioner

organic bananas
organic golden kiwi
organic lemons
organic cherries
organic plums
organic ginger root

Posting again soon . . . with Farmer's Market loot!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Nice haul from the Wedge! I went to the farmers market this morning too, and I got a TON! So good...tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, dill, cucumbers...mmmm :o) I hope you had fun at the market!