Wednesday, July 08, 2009

catching up some kitchen happenings

I was wondering why I hadn't blogged in a while . . . and it's because I haven't cooked much! We were out of town last weekend for the holiday, and have just been sort of throwing meals together since then. :) I do have a few things for you, though:

A dinner from last week:
example
Breakfast for dinner is always a good thing, especially when it involves roasted potatoes! Dan scrubbed and quartered these baby reds from the Farmer's Market and roasted them with olive oil, garlic, S&P, and a little dried thyme. I could have eaten my weight in these potatoes, but restrained myself. :)

P.S. Leftover roasted potatoes topped with chickpeas and salsa made for an AWESOME lunch the next day!

Another pie:
example
We took this pie to Dan's parents' house with us over the weekend, and it was quickly gobbled up. :) Strawberry-rhubarb seems to be a hit with everyone I meet!

Dinner last night:
example
Homemade pizza is always such a tasty thing. Artisan Bread crust, topped with olive oil, sliced local heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and S&P. Yum. I'm even excited for leftovers in my lunch today!

And we received a late-night phone call from Dan's brother, which resulted in this:
example
Free veggies! Dan's brother has a half-share of a CSA, which means he gets a full share every-other week. To quote Ryan, "a ridiculous amount of vegetables for one person." So, we scored basil, green onions, chard, broccoli, radishes, kohlrabi, fennel, and scapes.

Any ideas for cooking up the scapes? I've never used them before, but am excited to try them!

4 comments:

Regina said...

My friend Steph did some interesting things with scapes recently. By the way, thanks for the tip on Bauer Berry Farm. We went last Saturday and it was just perfect. They're so organized and friendly.

J said...

I know some people will make garlic scrape pesto and I understand the scrapes to be very good in stir-fries.

Your breakfast for dinner looks really yummy! I love roasted potatoes so freakin' much!

That was really awesome of Dan's brother to hook you all up with some veggie loot!

Anonymous said...

I *love* garlic scapes! I first got them in my CSA a few years ago, and now I am always on the lookout for them :-) Since roasted potatoes seem to be a hit, you could always roast them up with some potatoes. Or I really like them sauted with more garlic (gotta have my garlic!) and greens--kale, swiss chard, collards, etc. Enjoy!

Courtney

Judy's Nutrition said...

Gorgeous pie!

I received scapes in my CSA box a few weeks ago, and I didn't know what they were until I took a bite - then it became pretty obvious :) I used them in a stir fry first, and have since used them also in raw salad, in curries, even in fried rice. So glad I discovered them!