Monday, May 09, 2011

"mixin' it up"

There is a small part of me, deep down, that wishes leftovers didn't exist -- even though I frequently enjoy reheated leftovers for work lunches, and love that I don't have to cook EVERY day, I really would prefer something "fresh" at every meal. I realize that is horrible, but there you go! I have a weird palate. (Don't we all?)

I have discovered many ways over the years to "trick" myself into enjoying leftovers -- eating them for lunch at work, (I'm a captive audience, and often very hungry, so happy for what I have,) making sure there are fresh toppings to add just before serving, (shredded cheese, sliced green onions, diced avocado, fresh herbs, a squeeze of citrus, etc.) and, my best trick -- mixin' up the side dishes. Often, when I prepare a large portion of seasoned tofu or tempeh, I will make smaller portions of side dishes, which then means I get to make fresh side dishes to accompany some of the leftovers!

Here's a perfect example:

More curried tofu, this time with garlic-roasted asparagus and roasted fingerling potatoes, instead of the roasted sweet potatoes and artichoke I enjoyed earlier in the weekend. Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed another artichoke and more sweet potatoes; rather, this method means I don't "get sick" of curried tofu four meals in a row! Sneaky, eh?

1 comment:

Emily said...

I need to teach myself to be sneakier! I've been getting sick of having the same lunches (only 2x/ week) which can NOT happen!