Sunday, August 21, 2011

zucchini time

First off, know that I haven't posted in over a week because I haven't cooked in over a week! Between finishing up leftovers, eating out more than I should have, and slipping in a few lunches/breakfasts with the kids at work, I haven't needed to cook! Boooooooo!

OK, on to more important things: cookies! It's that time of year when Midwesterners will slip zucchini into any food that will allow, including cookies! It's hard not to, when one can obtain four very large zucchini from the Farmer's Market for a measly $1.50, wouldn't you agree? It's also hard not to, when cookies made with zucchini turn out this soft, chewy, and addictive. (But I'm still sticking to my "diet," wah, and calculated one cookie at around 100 calories, so, there you go.) I'll have to see how many of these cookies I can unload on friends and coworkers, because now that I've caught the zucchini-baking bug, I'm really wanting to make a zucchini-chocolate cake next. :)

ZUCCHINI COOKIES



Combine:
1/2 cup raisins
enough hot water to cover

Combine dry ingredients:
3/4 cup AP flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Penzey's Baking Spice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup natural granulated sugar

Stir into butter mixture:
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 medium zucchini, grated and obvious water squeezed out (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
drained raisins

Stir dry ingredients into wet until combined. Drop by 2-tablespoon fulls onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Makes about four-dozen cookies, give or take.

~~~~~~~~~~

I also have plans to use another one of my zucchini in roasted ratatouille, which I may stuff into crepes. (Doesn't that sound both homey and fancy at the same time?) What are some of your favorite uses for zucchini?

2 comments:

Amy P. said...

I know what you mean, Catherine. We've hardly been cooking at our home lately too, so many fun things to cram into August before the warm weather flees.

Your cookies sound yummy, way to sneak in some veggies!

Emily said...

Ooh, I have not made any zucchini baked goods at all - I really need to get on that before they are gone! :)
These cookies sound amazing.