MAGIC KALE SALAD. We can thank Peas and Thank You for this amazing recipe - I don't know whether this salad make it into either of her books, but I've been guarding this recipe with my life for years. I daresay everybody who tries magic kale salad loves it - it is truly a crowd-pleaser, has become one of my go-to potluck recipes, and has made it into the standing "Christmas Dinner" menu at our house. With the addition of some grilled or broiled tempeh, it turns into a substantial, power-packed lunch! I couldn't consider a salad series without including this one, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 8 oz tempeh, grilled or broiled
- 2 bunches kale, stemmed and shredded
- 1/2 c roasted, shelled, salted pistachios
- Make the lemon sesame vinaigrette: combine the lemon juice, oils, mustard, agave, and salt in a pint-sized mason jar or other tall container. Puree and emulsify the dressing using a handheld stick blender.
- Pack the salads: divide the dressing evenly among each of 4 tall quart-sized containers. Layer the apple, carrot, tempeh, and kale in the jars. Divide the pistachios evenly between 4 2-oz jars or snack-size zip-top bags for each salad. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl. Top with pistachios.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Use pre-washed bagged baby kale in place of the stemmed, shredded kale.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: This salad is vegan and gluten-free as-is. For a nut-free salad, substitute salted, hulled sunflower seeds for the pistachios.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.