Pears are a fruit I definitely don't eat often enough. It's so easy for me to get distracted by the wide variety of apples available this time of year, that I completely overlook pears! My mistake - and definitely one to correct with this salad. Pick up a couple of ripe, sweet pears and your favorite bleu cheese this week, and dig into this salad - it's a classic way to feature this oft-overlooked fruit!
YIELD: 4 quart-sized salads
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 c champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large, firm but ripe red or green pears, diced
- 4 oz bleu cheese, crumbled
- 4-8 oz mixed baby greens
- 1/2 c walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Make the champagne vinaigrette: combine the garlic, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, pepper, and oil in a pint-sized mason jar or other tall container. Puree and emulsify the dressing using a handheld stick blender.
- Pack the salads: add 2 tbsp dressing to each of 4 tall quart-sized containers; reserve the remaining dressing for another use. Layer the pear, bleu cheese, and mixed greens in the jars. Divide the walnuts evenly between 4 2-oz jars or snack-size zip-top bags for each salad. Refrigerate until serving.
- Enjoy your salad: invert your salad onto a plate or into a bowl. Top with walnuts.
TIME-SAVING TIPS: Use your favorite store-bought champagne vinaigrette in place of the homemade dressing.
SPECIAL DIET SWAPS: This salad is vegetarian and gluten-free as-is. For a vegan salad, substitute agave for the honey in the dressing, and your favorite vegan bleu cheese or cultured tofu product for the dairy cheese. For a nut-free salad, substitute sunflower seeds or pepitas for the walnuts.
Food styling, photography, and infographics by Robert Campbell.