Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY: laundry detergent

Next on my list of DIY projects was homemade laundry detergent!  I had originally stumbled on a recipe for liquid detergent, but decided I'd take Eileen's advice and make a powdered detergent instead.




















This was likely my easiest DIY project to date!  I did have a little bit of trouble finding washing soda, although I didn't really go out of my way to look for it; rather, I just kept checking at stores John and I frequent, and eventually found it.  Target?  No.  Cub?  Nope.  Wedge?  Nah.  Byerly's?  Yes!  Borax was easier to find, (Target, the Wedge, and Byerly's all carry it,) and bar soap -- well, all I had to do was check my bathroom for a spare bar.  :)

Ingredients:
1 cup washing soda
1 cup Borax
1 bar castille soap, grated finely (I used Dr. Bronner's citrus scent)

Mix all of the ingredients together, and you're done!  Eileen suggests 1 tbsp per load, although I haven't had a chance to test this out yet.  I'll update when I do!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?! Darn! I wanted to have a laundry soap making date together! I SO want to make my own laundry soap, and have wanted to for forever. Darn. Keep me posted on how it works?

Courtney

Eileen said...

Yay, laundry soap! So glad to hear you tried it out! This is SUCH an easy project, right? (As long as you don't inhale any grated soap, that is.)

Catherine Weber said...

I just pulled a nice, clean load of laundry out of my dryer using 1 tbsp detergent. Didn't suds at all, but it cleaned beautifully! Peanut butter stain out of a dish towel and everything!