Wednesday, January 14, 2009


Bob's Red Mill 10-Grain Hot Cereal, made with almond milk, with a squirt of agave and a handfull each of walnuts and raisins.

Crummiest picture on earth, but I wanted to try and emphasize the "layers" of my lunch today -- frozen spinach on the bottom, beans and brown rice in the middle, and a bit of shredded pepper Jack on top. It was DEEEEEEEE-LICIOUS.

An organic caramel hard candy, and a sugar cookie.

Scone and pear.

Lettuce with balsamic and olive oil, a cara cara orange, and the last of the potstickers, with tamari mixed with a little agave for dipping.

Walking to choir, which isn't very far, but when you consider it's negative gazillion degrees outside, that's about as good as it's going to get!


You know, I've been wondering about things lately. Like, what exactly qualifies as a vegetable? (I know tomatoes and avocado are technically fruit, but I feel like they are vegetables because they aren't sweet. Are potatoes a vegetable, or a starch?) And, what does a "serving" of vegetables look like? I wonder how people can eat 7 to 9 servings of vegetables per day! I try to eat as healthy as I can, but I know I don't even come close to that goal. Hmm. Ideas? Helpful hints?


Sharon said...

I think potatoes are a vegetable. Broccoli, spinach, kale, carrots, and the sort. I find that some days I don't get nearly as much as the required servings per day. But bulking up on vegetables by filling up your plate on the side or having your food on a bed of vegetables seems to help, I guess.

Anyways, love the potstickers and the cara cara orange is so bright!

VeggieGirl said...


I say potatoes and carrots (and other root vegetables) are STARCHY vegetables, and should be eaten in "somewhat" limited quantities (whereas leafy greens and high-water content vegetables can be eaten in larger amounts).

veggievixen said...

mmm i would eat that dinner every single night! it looks super yummy.

Vegan On Stage said...

yumm your layers look delish! i love nothin more than some black beans and rice...yumm

theidleloaf said...

POtatoes are a "starchy vegetable," and I think about 1/2 cup is a serving of veggies, but yeah I definitely am getting nowhere near 4 cups a day of veggies. Maybe 3-4 servings. That orange looks really vibrant!

Courtney said...

Everything looks great!

Well, technically speaking, a "serving" of veggies is a 1/2 C. 1 C if you are talking raw leafy greens (like lettuce or spinach). A medium sized piece of fruit is generally considered a serving, or 1/4 C of dried fruit. The recommendation of 7-9 servings a day includes both veggies AND fruits, not just veggies (although 7-9 servings of veggies would be great!). I think that, throughout the day, I really do get the recommended amount. You do too! Look at your days worth of food--raisins in your oatmeal and scone, 1 serving. Spinach in your lunch--I am guessing here, but probably 2 servings (it looks like at least a cup of cooked spinach?). Pear--1-2 servings, depending on size. Orange with dinner--1 serving. Salad--at least 1 serving. Are the pot stickers filled with veggies? Then 1 more serving. That adds up to a total of 7-8 servings (depending on the size of your pear)!

Okay, so that was a really long comment! You don't have to approve it and put it on the blog, but I wanted to let you know that the recommendation does include fruits AND veggies, and it looks like you are meeting it!