Saturday, May 01, 2010

oldie but goodie

An oldie but a goodie that I haven't made in ages -- Sloppy Lentils!



I tweaked my recipe a wee bit this time, and it turned out wonderfully! I think I've really nailed the flavor you'd look for in a traditional sloppy joe. Sides of roasted sweet potatoes and roasted broccoli, and that ever-important pickle, rounded things out.

Here's my recipe, in case you're curious:

Saute together:
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, (or 1/2 large,) minced
1 green pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning

Add, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 40 - 45 minutes:
15 ounces no-salt added tomato sauce
1 cup apple juice
1 cup green lentils (the "ordinary" kind)

When the lentils are almost done, add and continue simmering:
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp (approx.) salt

Serve on whole-wheat buns or stuffed in pita. Mmmm!

What are some of your "oldie but goodie" greatest hits?

2 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great! I generally use TVP for this type of recipe but these look very tempting! ;)

Ricki said...

I do a lentil spaghetti sauce that's very similar to this--it sounds great! I'd have to say my favorite oldie but goodie is good ole massaged kale salad! :)