Saturday, July 21, 2012

a long list

It's amazing how long one's "to-do" list gets after not having a single evening free during the week!  I spent the first part of my long weekend, yesterday afternoon, cooking, baking, cleaning, prepping, washing dishes, and tidying up my apartment.  Whew!  I'm still pretty tired this morning!  Here was one of my major accomplishments yesterday:
















I finished up the last of the monstrous zucchini John brought home from volunteering over a week ago, and made a batch of zucchini cookies!  Here's my recipe:

ZUCCHINI COOKIES

Combine dry ingredients:
3/4 cup AP flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Penzey's Baking Spice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins, Craisins, or other chopped dried fruit of your choice
Cream together:
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup natural granulated sugar

Stir into butter mixture:
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 medium zucchini, grated and obvious water squeezed out (1 1/2 to 2 cups)

Stir dry ingredients into wet until combined. Drop by 2-tablespoon fulls onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-20 minutes. (The bake time depends significantly on how much moisture is left in your zucchini before adding to the recipe -- just keep checking that first batch!)  Cool on a wire rack.


Shout out to my friend Tiffany, who was over for most of the evening yesterday, and helped with a number of my projects, including these cookies!  They turned out soft, moist, slightly spiced, and just a little nutritious.  :)  I think John, Dora, and I will really enjoy these with our picnic lunch today!

No comments: