Monday, September 17, 2007

Extra Yum!

First, some co-op finds:

example
Fresh Figs! (Eat 'em quick!)

example
Crimson Pears! Pluots!

example
Caramel Apple!

Next, some cooking projects:

Vanilla Ricotta Muffins (from Mollie Katzen's "Sunlight Cafe"):
example
I knew these were going to be excellent, and boy, was I right! Rich, buttery, and filled with enough protein to keep you going for at least a couple of hours. The only glitch? She suggested the recipe makes 8-10 muffins, so I decided to make 8 . . . and they poofed up and ran into each other. (Hence the square corners on these muffins.) Next time, I'll go with my gut and just make 12. :)

Tomato-Basil Soup (From La Dolce Vegan):
example
I skipped adding the soy milk to this batch, and packed it all up for the freezer. Now I won't be tempted to buy boxed tomato soup when I have a craving! Just thaw, add milk, and heat -- just like Campbell's, only WAY, WAY, WAY better. I was lucky enough to receive a big bunch of basil (and of mint . . . coming up next . . . ) from one of my choir colleagues, Dora. She had an abundant herb patch this year!

Chickpeas and Chana Dal in a Mint Sauce (from Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian"):
example
Now, I realize this doesn't look like much, but . . . this has got to be the most extra-yum chickpea dish I have EVER made! It was a little bit time consuming, (soaking and draining the chickpeas, simmering the chickpeas for an hour, adding the chana dal and simmering for another hour and a half, and then finishing the stew,) but it was well worth it. So amazingly tasty! She suggests serving the stew with naan, yogurt, and vegetables -- I was unable to find naan at the store this week, so I used lavash instead, and added a big dollop of plain yogurt to my stew after I snapped this picture. "World Vegetarian" is one of those cookbooks that I tend to forget I own, and then get so dang excited when I remember it's on my shelf! I've only made a few of her recipes so far, but they have all been fabulous.

That's all the extra-yum I have for you now . . . more to come later this week! More cooking planned, for myself as well as the boyfriend (he's been on tour for two weeks and we'll finally get to hang out this Thursday,) and I'm also planning on going to dinner with Courtney this weekend!

For now, however, I have a never-ending mountain of dishes to tackle. (The only negative side-effect of cooking, if you ask me!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying fresh figs from the Wedge as well--so good! I cannot seem to get enough of them!

That tomato soup looks fabulous...and fresh basil in it too?! Yum!

See you this weekend!

Courtney

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Your tomato soup looks pretty all lined up for the freezer! any plans for the figs?

Unknown said...

try a pressure cooker. it cooks the lentils faster!