Wednesday, January 14, 2009

wondering

BREAKFAST:
example
Bob's Red Mill 10-Grain Hot Cereal, made with almond milk, with a squirt of agave and a handfull each of walnuts and raisins.

LUNCH:
example
Crummiest picture on earth, but I wanted to try and emphasize the "layers" of my lunch today -- frozen spinach on the bottom, beans and brown rice in the middle, and a bit of shredded pepper Jack on top. It was DEEEEEEEE-LICIOUS.

TREAT:
An organic caramel hard candy, and a sugar cookie.

SNACK:
example
Scone and pear.

DINNER:
example
Lettuce with balsamic and olive oil, a cara cara orange, and the last of the potstickers, with tamari mixed with a little agave for dipping.

EXERCISE:
Walking to choir, which isn't very far, but when you consider it's negative gazillion degrees outside, that's about as good as it's going to get!

~~~~~~~~~~

You know, I've been wondering about things lately. Like, what exactly qualifies as a vegetable? (I know tomatoes and avocado are technically fruit, but I feel like they are vegetables because they aren't sweet. Are potatoes a vegetable, or a starch?) And, what does a "serving" of vegetables look like? I wonder how people can eat 7 to 9 servings of vegetables per day! I try to eat as healthy as I can, but I know I don't even come close to that goal. Hmm. Ideas? Helpful hints?

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I think potatoes are a vegetable. Broccoli, spinach, kale, carrots, and the sort. I find that some days I don't get nearly as much as the required servings per day. But bulking up on vegetables by filling up your plate on the side or having your food on a bed of vegetables seems to help, I guess.

Anyways, love the potstickers and the cara cara orange is so bright!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Delish!!


I say potatoes and carrots (and other root vegetables) are STARCHY vegetables, and should be eaten in "somewhat" limited quantities (whereas leafy greens and high-water content vegetables can be eaten in larger amounts).

veggievixen said...

mmm i would eat that dinner every single night! it looks super yummy.

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

yumm your layers look delish! i love nothin more than some black beans and rice...yumm

Anonymous said...

POtatoes are a "starchy vegetable," and I think about 1/2 cup is a serving of veggies, but yeah I definitely am getting nowhere near 4 cups a day of veggies. Maybe 3-4 servings. That orange looks really vibrant!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks great!

Well, technically speaking, a "serving" of veggies is a 1/2 C. 1 C if you are talking raw leafy greens (like lettuce or spinach). A medium sized piece of fruit is generally considered a serving, or 1/4 C of dried fruit. The recommendation of 7-9 servings a day includes both veggies AND fruits, not just veggies (although 7-9 servings of veggies would be great!). I think that, throughout the day, I really do get the recommended amount. You do too! Look at your days worth of food--raisins in your oatmeal and scone, 1 serving. Spinach in your lunch--I am guessing here, but probably 2 servings (it looks like at least a cup of cooked spinach?). Pear--1-2 servings, depending on size. Orange with dinner--1 serving. Salad--at least 1 serving. Are the pot stickers filled with veggies? Then 1 more serving. That adds up to a total of 7-8 servings (depending on the size of your pear)!

Okay, so that was a really long comment! You don't have to approve it and put it on the blog, but I wanted to let you know that the recommendation does include fruits AND veggies, and it looks like you are meeting it!

Courtney