Monday, December 20, 2010

a couple of meals

Since I was so busy this weekend baking and cooking for the coming week, I ate mostly leftovers, breakfast burritos, (nothing else fills me up quite like one of those!), smoothies, and hummus all weekend long. (What a good little vegetarian I am!) :) Plus, I tend to get so wrapped up in what I'm doing, I kind of forget to eat . . . so having healthy snacks available is a plus!

I did manage a couple of healthy meals over the course of the weekend, though! Friday night, I threw together this awesome tofu scramble after we got home from grocery shopping:

I did pick up a little bit of fresh produce to supplement, but this was mostly a "clean-out-the-fridge" meal, finishing up a half-block of tofu, a few potatoes, about a cup of refried beans, some leftover guacamole, a teenise bit of queso fresco, etc. Thrifty AND tasty!

And last night, I made pizza:

Both pies are made with half-whole wheat Artisan Bread dough, but that's about where the similarities end. The slice on the left is topped with organic pizza sauce, parmesan and mozzarella, red onion, cremini mushroom, fresh tomatoes, green pepper, sliced fresh garlic, and dried oregano. (My goal was to mock the "fresh veggie" pizza from Pizza Luce, sans canned olives, since we didn't have any on hand. It worked!) The slice on the right is topped with olive oil, minced fresh garlic, plenty of spinach (from my freezer, squeezed as dry as humanly possible using a dish towel,) mozzarella and feta, kalamata olives, dried tomatoes, artichokes, and roasted red peppers. Oh pizza, how I love thee! (We had a delightful green salad on the side, with some of the fig balsamic vinegar we bought over Thanksgiving.)

Must give credit to Dan, here -- I nicknamed him "savior of the pizza" last night, since he happily walked to the co-op to pick up a can of artichoke hearts while I prepped the rest of the ingredients. We had artichokes on hand, but they were pushed WAY to the back of our fridge, and were, um, NASTY. (Who knows how long they'd been there?) Now, as you can see, we had plenty of pizza toppings in the house and didn't NEED artichokes, but I was wanting them badly, and Dan was happy to run off and pick some up! Thank you, savior of the pizza! ;)

1 comment:

Vic Robinson said...

Sometimes being busy makes the best for our health rarely but on occasion. :) I also have been very busy but have been drinking lots of smoothies as well.