Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Craving a balance . . .

. . . of flavors, that is! Is anyone else loving the trend towards multi-dimentional, well-balanced food (in terms of flavors) these days? Think spicy sweets, salty sweets, savory dishes with a sweet component, etc. -- I LOVE this. I love salted caramels, curried ice cream, Thai food in all of its forms, dried fruits with cheeses, etc.

Tonight's dinner was another winner in my arsenal of recipes I would consider "balanced" -- Sweet and Savory Wild Rice Salad, from The Kitchn:

Oh. Holy. Delicious! The chewy whole-grains, bright herbs and citrus, crunchy almonds, sweet dried fruit (I used apricots, even though the original recipe called for dates,) and fresh cucumber and red bell pepper all combine to make something . . . balanced! (Have I used that word enough this post???) There is a lot going on in this salad, definitely, but it all works together in delicious harmony.

And an extra bonus? I calculated a serving (about 10 ounces of the salad, approximately,) at under 400 calories! Woo! Whole grains and veggies rock!

Next time I might add chickpeas . . . !!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Love those different flavors in meals too. :)

Mary said...

This looks delicious!