Friday, March 07, 2008

cooking projects in an evening

Sometimes, I get it in my head that I need to come home from work and spend the evening in my kitchen. I may be exhausted, but that doesn't seem to matter! Last night was one of those nights -- washed a mountain of dishes, made dinner, and did a little baking. First, dinner:
example
I made Bazu's "Pasta alla Puttanesca" for dinner last night. Simple combination of herbs and spicy chili flakes, olives, capers, onions, garlic, and crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes. Delish, and filling when served with whole-wheat pasta. (Bionaturae is my favorite brand, hands-down.) This "recipe" that I've developed based on her suggestions is large enough for two hungry people, or leftovers for lunch the next day. (So excited for more pasta at lunch today!)

Then, I decided to bake. Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking:
example
These cookies taste great, but they didn't spread hardly at all, which I find very disappointing. I followed the directions exactly . . . grumble, grumble. I have chocolate chip cookie nuggets to bring to work today, I guess. (Sheesh!) I hate to admit it, but my recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies is better. (And uses whole-grain flour!)

On that subject for a moment . . . I have been very pleased with the bar and muffin recipes that I've made from The Joy of Vegan Baking so far, but both cookie recipes have fallen a little below my expectations. Hm. Has anyone else had this problem?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

i tagged you with a little game! details on my blog...

gc said...

sorry i dont know if this is a dumb question...how do you get fire roasted tomatoes? was that in a brand of tomato sauce? haha im so confused!