Monday, October 06, 2008

Just say "NO" to fast food and gas station snacks!

Dan and I took a little road trip this past weekend, and I wanted to offer up some suggestions for how to say "NO" to fast food and gas station snacks when driving long distances!!

1. PACK MEALS AND SNACKS

Dan and I left town Saturday morning with a small cooler packed with snacks and lunch. We were able to avoid gas station snacks by munching on the pretzels, trail mix, and jellybeans I picked up at the co-op, and avoided fast food on Saturday by enjoying our sandwiches and apples in the sunshine at a picnic table at a rest stop.

2. VISIT LOCAL PLACES

We went out for dinner with some friends on Saturday night, and let them recommend their favorite Thai restaurant, Sala Thai. Dan and I enjoyed delicious (but scalding hot) veggie potstickers and tofu soup to start, and I chowed down on one of my favorites, tofu pad thai, for my entree. YUM!

On our way back towards MN on Sunday, we went out of our way (by about 20 miles) to stop at The Cheese Factory Restaurant, located just off I-94 in Wisconsin Dells.
example
We've dined here only once before, since we don't get down to south central Wisconsin all that often. However, this is a restaurant worth going out of your way for! All totally homemade, all vegetarian (with many vegan options,) and about the friendliest wait-staff I've ever experienced.

Dan enjoyed the Hungarian Goulash again, served with sauerkraut and potato pierogies:
example

And I tried something new: crepes stuffed with sauteed leeks and carrots and a touch of goat cheese, sitting atop a gorgonzola cream sauce, smothered in cranberry relish and toasted walnuts. (This also came with a salad!)
example

Both of our plates were nearly licked clean -- all that was left was half a crepe that neither one of us could find room for. (Sorry, delicious crepe!)

~~~~~~~~~~

So, what are your tips/ideas for eating healthy while travelling?

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Great tips!! Glad that you ate deliciously while on your road trip :0)

When my parents and I travel on the road, we ALWAYS packa cooler filled with snacks and meals, so that we don't need to stop for food on the road.

Sarah said...

I definitely agree, packing your own food works the best. Also, if you have the chance to stay at bed and breakfasts or cottages that allow access to a kitchen, you can make your own food.

Anonymous said...

Here here! I never hit the road without a cooler (or at least a big lunch bag) packed with vegan snacks. So much less waste, so much healthier.

Anonymous said...

Oh that food - looks so good - I love vegetarian goulash!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

i agree.. i think the only true way to stay healthy and know exactly what your putting into your body is by bringing along your favorite goodies that are long lasting. Aslo.. a grocery store stop never hurt anyone! i feel like people are so quick to run to a fast food joint.. run to the grocery store and pick up some healthy stuff!

Jess said...

I keep a crazy amount of snacks on me when going on road trips! However... We usually stop at Taco Bell for a bean burrito sans cheese at some point. It's not the best food, but it's low-fat, high-fiber, and keeps me full for awhile!

Carrie™ said...

It seems like it's been forever since I've been able to check in on you. Boy, did I miss a lot!! The catch-up was great though, falafels, soup, cookies, pie & those crepes! I'll try not to stay away so long next time.