Wednesday, October 01, 2008

relaxation in the kitchen

I decided to stay home from choir practice tonight because I don't want to share this yukky cough with anyone, (particularly the older folks in my choir,) because my voice is shot from talking with/at children all day long and from coughing, and also because I'm just plain exhausted. I figured I needed to take some time for myself and relax a little bit, especially since I haven't been sleeping all that well this week. (Oliver keeps jumping on me in the middle of the night. I think he is cold and wants to paw his way under the covers . . . I'm going to try putting the heating pad in his usual "spot" tonight and see if that keeps him out of my hair!)

So, I got home from work, made myself some dinner, ate, and thought about watching a movie. And then I thought harder about baking cookies. Crazy? Perhaps. But baking has always been very relaxing for me. Cookies it was.
example
Vegan Snickerdoodles! SOOOOOO delicious, and possibly one of the best vegan cookies I've ever made. Recipe:

Cream together:
1 cup Earth Balance (at room temperature)
1 1/2 cups natural granulated sugar

Whip until foamy, then stir in:
1 tablespoon Ener-G
4 tablespoons water

Whisk together, then stir in:
2 3/4 cups flour (I used a mix of AP, whole-wheat pastry, and spelt)
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Roll the dough into balls, then coat with cinnamon-sugar. Bake on parchment-lined cookie sheets at 400 for about 8 minutes. (If your oven is lousy like mine, make sure to rotate your sheets front-to-back halfway through the baking time.)

10 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hope your cough goes away soon!!

Hooray for snickerdoodles! :0)

Cody said...

Snickerdoodles are the boy's favorite, I've had a vegan snickerdoodle recipe laying around for almost a year, and yet...

Looks like a project is afoot.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon and I want your cookies.

Anonymous said...

Those sound insanely good, girl!

J said...

I hope you start to feel better soon - I've been battling a cold too, and it is no fun. I mean, it's not even winter yet!

Those cookies look fantastic and baking is a great way to relax. Makes me kind of happy about the cooler weather.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better! Who needs soup?! Cookies are the best medicine!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! I've been fighting something that seems to be winning...oh autumn is lovely, save the germs! Snickerdoodles are the best!

Meg said...

Oh wow! These looks amazing! I will have to make these soon!

Steffi said...

get better soon! can't believe the baking season has started already :)

Sarah said...

I always find baking relaxing for me too. I end up making cookies or cakes at like 10-11pm at night, but I definitely find it a way to unwind from tough days.

Hope you start feeling better.