Saturday, October 11, 2008

a little cooking

With all of this travelling, I have really been missing my kitchen! Egads. I did manage a little cooking/baking last night and this morning, though. Hooray!

Dinner last night:
Frozen artichoke and olive ravioli topped with jarred marinara, garlic toast, and a spinach salad topped with avocado, tomato, lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Quick and a bit lazy of me, but still healthy and delicious!!

Baking project today:
Rhubarb-Streusel Muffins! I had some sliced rhubarb in my freezer that was starting to get more than a little bit "icy," so I decided I better hurry up and use it up! I loosely followed the blueberry-streusel muffin recipe from Betty Crocker, but with more than a few changes based on what I had on hand. (i.e., no almond milk!) Recipe:

Beat together:
1 egg's worth of Ener-G whipped with 3 tablespoons water
1 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Stir in just until blended:
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup "vanilla sugar"
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Fold in:
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Scoop the batter into lined muffin cups. Top with streusel topping:
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
several dashes ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons Earth Balance, at room temperature

Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 400. Cool and enjoy!


VeggieGirl said...

Ah yes, it definitely feels good to get back into one's own kitchen, after lots of traveling :0)

Great dinner; and I LOVE those Rhubarb-Streusel Muffins!!

shellyfish said...

Hey, quick & easy, but still delicious and healthy. Thank you for that muffin recipe! Sounds just yummy! And you're such a sweetie for offering to watch Guppy! You know, if you're ever in France... :)

kindkitchen said...

Those muffins sound tasty! And I love raviolis for a quick meal :]

Vegan On Stage said...

ah i miss my kitchen!!!! i wont be back in it till JAN!!!

Thanks for the positive words.. it helps to hear that sometimes

mnvikingirl said...

Yum! Can I ask where you purchased the frozen artichoke & olive ravioli? Sounds delish!

Catherine said...

The ravioli are "Rising Moon" brand, and I bought them at the Wedge. (I bet you could find them at any co-op/Whole Foods/other natural foods store that is well-stocked.)