Saturday, October 11, 2008

a little cooking

With all of this travelling, I have really been missing my kitchen! Egads. I did manage a little cooking/baking last night and this morning, though. Hooray!

Dinner last night:
example
Frozen artichoke and olive ravioli topped with jarred marinara, garlic toast, and a spinach salad topped with avocado, tomato, lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Quick and a bit lazy of me, but still healthy and delicious!!

Baking project today:
example
Rhubarb-Streusel Muffins! I had some sliced rhubarb in my freezer that was starting to get more than a little bit "icy," so I decided I better hurry up and use it up! I loosely followed the blueberry-streusel muffin recipe from Betty Crocker, but with more than a few changes based on what I had on hand. (i.e., no almond milk!) Recipe:

Beat together:
1 egg's worth of Ener-G whipped with 3 tablespoons water
1 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Stir in just until blended:
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup "vanilla sugar"
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Fold in:
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Scoop the batter into lined muffin cups. Top with streusel topping:
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
several dashes ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons Earth Balance, at room temperature

Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 400. Cool and enjoy!

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ah yes, it definitely feels good to get back into one's own kitchen, after lots of traveling :0)

Great dinner; and I LOVE those Rhubarb-Streusel Muffins!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, quick & easy, but still delicious and healthy. Thank you for that muffin recipe! Sounds just yummy! And you're such a sweetie for offering to watch Guppy! You know, if you're ever in France... :)

Anonymous said...

Those muffins sound tasty! And I love raviolis for a quick meal :]

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

ah i miss my kitchen!!!! i wont be back in it till JAN!!!

Thanks for the positive words.. it helps to hear that sometimes

Anonymous said...

Yum! Can I ask where you purchased the frozen artichoke & olive ravioli? Sounds delish!

Catherine Weber said...

The ravioli are "Rising Moon" brand, and I bought them at the Wedge. (I bet you could find them at any co-op/Whole Foods/other natural foods store that is well-stocked.)