Sunday, January 24, 2010

more whole grains

I checked out Lorna Sass's Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way from the library last week, and have finally had a chance to get into the book and get cooking!

I made "Brown and Wehani Rice Casserole with Tomates and Feta," except that I couldn't find Wehani rice at Mississippi Market, so I used Bhutanese red rice. We enjoyed some Mediterranean-marinaded tofu and veggies on the side for dinner tonight:

SO deliciously tasty! The only adjustment I'd make to the recipe is omitting the added salt next time -- the feta and olives bring plenty of savoriness to the party! Yum!

I also made "Granola Revisited."

Not a "weeknight" granola recipe, since it takes about an hour and a half in the oven, but definitely the best granola I've made to date. The long roasting time at a low oven temperature guarantees perfectly toasted oats! Delicious!

And, here's something that made me laugh today:

Other than the recipe for fruit crisp, I pull Joy of Cooking off my shelf most often to serve as a tofu weight. I'm guessing that's not what Irma had in mind when she put the book together, but, well, there you go. Made me chuckle!


Deb Schiff said...

Ah, the irony police will come and get you. Would have been even funnier if it were a book by Julia Child.

Courtney said...

I always use the cast iron pan and my biggest pot and/or cans of tomatoes as tofu weighs :-) But books are a good idea--duh.