Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Very Vegan Thanksgiving Part 3: Double Cranberry Chutney

_example

As a small child, I prefered the type of cranberry jelly that slides out of a can, shaped just like the can. I liked HUGE slices on my Thanksgiving plate, shocked that I could eat dessert with my meal (for once!)

Nowadays, I prefer my cranberry more on the tart side, homemade from fresh cranberries, and definitely more on the chunky and saucy side. I first made this Double Cranberry Chutney a few years ago, and was totally hooked -- I don't think I'll ever need another cranberry chutney recipe!

The only change I make to the original recipe is substituting cranberry juice cocktail for the port wine, just 'cause I don't cook with alcohol. Keep in mind this recipe makes a VAT of chutney, (like, a quart, at least,) so if you're serving a small number of people, or not looking forward to leftovers, the recipe is quite easy to cut in half. I love this stuff smeared on toast, muffins, scones, whatever, though, so I look forward to a lot of leftovers!

How do you like your cranberries?

1 comment:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great! I would avoid the alcohol as well. :)