Sunday, April 10, 2011

simple lunch, delightful snack

I had been thinking over how I was going to make "salsa chickpeas" all week long, and today, I finally threw a few things in a frying pan and came up with a simple, healthy, delicious lunch!

"Salsa Chickpeas," served over some leftover brown rice, and a side of steamed sugar-snap peas, tossed with a dot of butter and a pinch of salt.

How did I make Salsa Chickpeas?

1. Saute half a large yellow onion, chopped, in some olive oil until it is just beginning to brown. Add 2 cloves garlic, minced, and cook for a couple more minutes.

2. Add a spoonful (about 2 tsp? maybe more? maybe less?) of curry powder and a small handfull of sliced almonds to the pan. Continue cooking, toasting the nuts and spices, for a few more minutes.

3. Add about 3 cups of cooked, rinsed/drained chickpeas to the pan, and about a cup (or more? or less?) of prepared salsa. Heat through.

4. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and serve over rice.

I was pleasantly surprised by this experiment! I was worried that I wasn't much going to care for it and would end up with tons of leftovers, but that's not the case -- I will definitely be enjoying this dish again later this week! Yum.

I also felt like baking today, and made a delightful pile of snacks:

After reading Ali's post about these "All-Inclusive Breakfast Muffins," they just sounded too good to be true . . . I had to try them! These muffins did NOT disappoint . . . while they are definitely more complicated than most of my ordinary muffin recipes, they are totally worth the extra effort -- moist, slightly sweet, and wholesome, without tasting "healthy." I'm also extra-excited to have discovered Anja's blog! Her recipe for Almond Butter Granola Bars is calling my name, man!

Discovering new blogs is so much fun, isn't it? :)

2 comments:

Ali said...

Told ya so! Hee hee!! :)

Anonymous said...

Those sugar snap peas look so vibrant and delicious!

Courtney