Wednesday, September 26, 2012

whatever looks good

At the tail end of my vacation last week, John and I decided to hit up the Farmer's Market on a whim -- we wanted garlic to plant, beeswax to turn into hand cream and lip balm, and whatever veggies looked good.  That's always the best policy when it comes to the Farmer's Market, don't you think?  Buy whatever looks good, and figure out a plan later.  :)

We came home and made brunch:
















Poached eggs, sauteed kale, roasted potatoes, and sliced heirloom tomatoes.  All local, and all perfectly delicious!  I love that fresh produce needs so little to shine -- a little oil, a little salt, a little pepper, maybe a few herbs or a splash of vinegar or soy sauce . . . and that's it!  Yum.  If only I had the time this morning, I would make this breakfast again today!

Although I have been trying to cut back on desserts lately, I still feel the pull to bake delicious things.  Muffins to the rescue!
















I made Buttermilk Granola Muffins from King Arthur Flour, and was delighted with the results!  Sweet, moist, tender, 100% whole-grain muffins for breakfasts and snacks this week have nodded to my sweet tooth without being too junky.  The granola topping seemed to scorch a little bit -- blame the tiny apartment oven?  Maybe it's time I finally invest in an oven thermometer.  :)

Do you have any favorite recipes that use cultured buttermilk?  I have been serially culturing buttermilk lately, (which, by the way, is crazy easy,) and have been looking for more uses for it.  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hi Catherine,
I was looking through the Moosewood Lowfat cookbook (my parents own it and I'm scanning some recipes for myself) and noticed that there were a lot of main course and side dish recipes that use buttermilk. Maybe you can get it from the library?
http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Restaurant-Low-Fat-Favorites-Flavorful/dp/0517884941