Wednesday, February 08, 2006

backup plan

Before I begin, I want to note that as a preschool teacher, I do not require or encourage the children in my classes to call me "Miss Catherine." I'm lucky if I get "Catherine," as opposed to, "teacher," "Sarah," "hey," or simply a swat on the leg.

That said, I wanted to share a transcription of a conversation I had with a child in my class earlier this week:
(Note that the "Miss Catherine" is just this child's creation -- he's just sorta goofy like that.)

Kevin: Miss Catherine, are you married?
Me: No, Kev, I'm not married.
Kevin: [long pause] Why not?
Me: Well, I haven't found the right man yet.
Kevin: [long pause] Why?
Me: Well, I guess I just haven't met anyone yet that I liked well enough to marry.
Kevin: [really long pause] Will you get married someday?
Me: I hope so.
Kevin: When?
Me: I don't know -- when I meet the right man, I suppose.
Kevin: [brief pause] Well, Miss Catherine, I just want you to know that you don't have to worry, because when I grow up, I will marry you.
Me: Thanks, Kev. It's nice to know I have a backup plan.

What a card!

One more silly comment:

I was sitting next to Oscar at group time this afternoon. He was sitting in the back, and is one of the smaller, younger children in our class. He was craning his neck and looking back and forth, trying to find a "window" between the other children's heads in order to see the pictures of the book. I scooped him up into my lap, and he pushed me away. I said, "Oscar, if you sit in my lap you'll be able to see better." His reply?
"I can see fine when I sit on my own pants."

I almost burst out laughing in the middle of the book! Sheesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! His own pants! That was hilarious. :D