Sunday, February 05, 2006

rainbow chili?

Chelsea came to visit me today for a short time, and we wandered over to the co-op -- I needed a couple of things anyway, (milk, bananas, peppers, Burt's Bees Almond Milk Hand Creme, Green and Black's chocolate, bread, etc.) and she was very excited to go to the co-op and check the place out. (I have a feeling the next time I ask Chelsea, "do you need anything from the city?" the answer might be "yes!")

Then, I came home and made chili.

Chili is always an experiment, because I never follow a recipe. I just chuck whatever looks good in the crock pot, add enough vegetable broth to cover, and cook it on high for 4 hours. Here's what I made today:

1 can black turtle beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black soy beans, drained and rinsed
2 14.5-oz cans no salt added diced tomatoes with liquid
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 green peppers, chopped
3 green onions, sliced with some tops
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
half a small yellow onion, diced
a big handfull of cilantro leaves, minced
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
2 rounded tablespoonfulls of chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

With all of the pretty vegetables in this one, I might have to call it "rainbow chili." Is that cheesy?

Regardless, I'll let you know how it tastes. :)

1 comment:

Catherine Weber said...

The chili is VERY good. Next time, I'll probably use a half teaspoon of cinnamon -- a whole teaspoon is a bit overpowering. I really like the rice -- it soaked up so much of the liquid, the chili has almost a stew-like quality. Which makes me happy, because I'm not a broth person.