Thursday, July 31, 2008

just call me a quitter . . .

I've joined a bunch of great bloggers (and a few blog-readers) in the "Quit Now" challenge -- a challenge where you choose to quit doing or buying something you do or buy that wastes a lot of energy.

The challenge is all about deciding to not do or buy something that you feel might be really difficult for you -- some people choose to quit buying avocadoes, bananas, or coffee, others choose to go back to cloth diapering their children, switching to recycled paper towels, or switching off unnecessary appliances/energy suckers.

So, why am I a quitter? Because, for the month of August, I'm quitting long showers. Now, this might sound a little lame, but I LOVE a nice, long shower, even in this summer heat. I'm going to try and break myself of this water-wasting habit -- I'm going to set a five-minute timer, and stick to my limit!

What would/could you quit for a month? If you're ready to become a quitter, link over to Jennifer (posted over in my sidebar) -- or just take a peek and see what everyone else is working on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the showers--that is a great idea! I couldn't really think of anything brilliant, so I went with pineapple. I *love* pineapple and it will be hard to not eat it for a whole month! But since it is not grown anywhere even remotely near the mid-west, I figured it was a good thing to give up...

Courtney

bazu said...

Good luck with your quitting! I think these kinds of moves/experiments can be very enlightening. In the past, I've given up sugar, paper towels, pledged to cut my use of dish soap down by more than 50%, etc. etc.
I'd like to look into a more environmentally friendly cat litter solution. Any ideas?

Catherine Weber said...

Bazu, thanks! We use Feline Pine, which I REALLY like -- it's made from recycled, compostable pine sawdust, doesn't stink AT ALL, and doesn't really track around as much as normal cat litter does. Oliver switched over to it no problem!

Anonymous said...

I read an article about short showers in the NY times and tried a 3 min shower with a timer...I failed miserably...5 minutes sounds much more reasonable. Good Luck!