Wednesday, August 11, 2010

starring . . . vegetables!

I love this time of year, even though I HATE the weather -- why? Because EVERYTHING is in season! I feel like there is so little I need to do to cook these days, because veggies are all so fabulous and fresh and flavorful. (How's that for alliteration?)

Here's a fantastic pasta salad I made for dinner last night:

I topped a bed of local lettuces with Roasted Garlic, Olive, and Tomato Pasta Salad. Fresh, local basil and heirloom tomatoes starred in this creamy, tangy, salty pile of pasta and goodness. Mmmmm! Plus, given I had already roasted the garlic this past weekend, this dinner was ready FAST! I like that.

And another veggie-riffic dinner tonight:

Baked sweet potatoes, from the Farmer's Market, "Chile-Cornmeal Crusted Tofu," from VCON, and Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing. Now, I always love baked sweet potatoes, and I love that tofu recipe, too, (especially since I discovered I can cut the dipping/breading ingredients in half and still cook up two packages of tofu,) but I must say, this kale slaw stole the show. SO fantastic! We've never really had raw kale before, and I think we both really liked it -- not as bitter as cooked greens, and the slightly sweet, slightly tangy, peanutty dressing was FANTASTIC.

Check out those links, because I'm definitely going to have to spend more time on Apartment Therapy in the coming weeks . . . so far, their recipes have been incredible! What's your latest awesome recipe resource?

3 comments:

Emily said...

I want that chili corn crusted tofu! Wow!
(I agree about the weather too)

Anonymous said...

You had never had raw kale before?!? It is SO good--I am glad you tried it :-)

I love raw food too, but that is all I am eating and I miss cooking, lol! I am always so impressed with you because you still manage to cook in this oppressive ridiculous heat... pasta and roasted garlic and baked sweet potatoes, and tofu in this weather?!? You are my hero! Wanna invite me over to dinner one night ;-)?

Courtney

Crystal said...

Mmm...the raw kale salad looks great!

I've been cycling through my old magazines and bookmarking recipes. Cooking Light, Vegetarian Times, and Shape all get features this month :)