Sunday, May 29, 2005

Chai love to cook

Ha, bloody ha. But I do love to cook! I started reading "The Joy of Cooking" tonight, like one would read a novel. It will probably take me the rest of the year to get through, but it will be an interesting read. (I'm also simultaneously reading The Chronicles of Narnia. I'm usually in the middle of at least two, if not three books.)

I made myself a cup of chai tonight. I had a former colleague who I knew during grad school who lived in Pakistan for a while, so she taught me how to make chai the "right" way, according to her. This makes 2 servings, give or take:

Place 1 cup milk and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Add half a cinnamon stick, a 1-inch piece vanilla bean, two green cardamom pods (cracked between your eyeteeth,) two whole cloves, a few grates nutmeg, and 1 rounded tablespoon full of sugar. (The sugar is optional and to your liking -- you can add more or less if desired.) (You can also add a slice of peeled fresh ginger, but I didn't have any on hand.) Bring milk, water, and spices to a simmer. Add 2 black teabags and continue simmering 10 to 20 minutes. Drain, discarding solids, and serve.

Now, I love the stuff that comes in the box from the natural foods section of Rainbow, but there's just no comparison to the homemade kind. Mmmm . . . !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, that chai sounds great!! I had a cup yesterday too, only it was the box kind. I used to feel bad about spending the extra $3 at the store, but then someone reminded me that it costs $3 for ONE CUP when you buy it at the coffee shop. :)

ANNNNNNNNNDDDD........HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :D