Bazu and Daiku answered the questions to this survey recently, and, like Bazu, I'm a sucker for these, too! Here I go . . .
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Soy for coffee, rice for cereal. Since I just bought a soymilk maker, however, that's been the milk of choice lately. I can't wait to try out almond and hazelnut milks, though!
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Chili and cornbread, sushi, and probably eggs and hashbrowns.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Fine-grain sea salt, and nothing else!
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I have had some pretty disastrous adventures in the land of homemade bread-baking.
5. Favorite pickled item?
Oooh . . . I do love pickles (i.e. cucumbers,) but I think my favorite pickled item is pickled ginger.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I organize recipes I clip out of magazines and print off the internet in five big binders, sorted by category and then alphabetized. I also have a computer program called "notebook" that I use to organize the rest of my recipes -- no more recipe box, thank you very much!
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I live in an apartment, so I'm stuck with trash only. Someday I will have a fabulous composting system at the back of my gigantic garden, however!
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Bread, cheese, and peaches.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Cutting out and decorating Christmas cookies, probably.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Soy Delicious cookie avalanche!
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Hmm. Tough one. It might be my Bamix!
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Fresh basil. (Cilantro, too!)
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The basic Betty Crocker big red cookbook.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
A tie -- apricot and strawberry.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and vegenaise on wholegrain toast, with sweet potato fries and watermelon!
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I like to spend a whole day cooking and prepping on the weekend -- that day usually ends up being Sunday afternoon/evening.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
My large cooling grate, unpopped popcorn, half a bag of blue corn tortilla chips, my lunchbag, and a package of cardboard to-go coffee cups (Dan has a habit of losing/forgetting to return my travel coffee mugs!)
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Active dry yeast, tons of leftovers, and coffee ice cream.
20. What's on your grocery list?
Paper towels, dish soap, cat food, sugar, maple syrup, coffee, Earth Balance, fruit, flaxseeds, conditioner, frozen pizza, bag o' salad, cucumber, red pepper, frozen edamame, green pepper, frozen corn, jalapeno, big can of tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, green onions, limes, cheese, avocado, and pickled ginger. (We're going to the grocery store today.)
21. Favorite grocery store?
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
Mac and cheese (that doesn't taste oppressively of nutritional yeast. Blech!)
23. Food blog you read the most.
Oh, I read them all . . . ! I'm not the best commenter, however.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
A tie: Dots and Sweedish Fish (the multicolored kind!)
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Hm. Four boxes of Yogi tea, because it was on sale?
26. Veganaise or Nayonaise?
Veganaise, all the way.
27. What is one recipe or ingredient or cooking technique that you've become familiar with in the last year that you can't imagine you ever lived without?
Sushi! How had I lived before without nori rolls filled with avocado, cucumber, and red pepper???!?!?!?
Let me know if you answer these 27 questions, so I can read your answers!