Wednesday, November 07, 2007

by request . . .

Here's the recipe for the pumpkin pie I posted about earlier this week.

Tofu Pumpkin Pie (modified from a recipe on vegweb.com)

Preheat oven to 425.

Puree together:
15 to 16 ounces canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup maple syrup (or sugar, if you're broke)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 package (10 to 12 ounces) silken tofu (i.e., Mori-Nu) (this time I used firm lite)

Pour the pumpkin mixture into a pie shell (I used a vegan, whole grain frozen shell I found at the co-op,) and bake for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 and bake for 40 more minutes. (Watch the edges of the crust -- you may need to cover them with foil to prevent over-browning.) Cool and chill the pie before serving.

P.S. (Courtney,) If you don't like pie crust, you can bake the custard in a greased pie plate with excellent results, too. :)

5 comments:

bazu said...

Mmmmm. Thanks for this bit of seasonal loveliness!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha--I was already planning on doing that before I got to the end of your post! Thanks for letting me know...I am going to try it soon!

Courtney

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I know what's for dessert tonight! :)

Hippie Girl said...

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Jody from VegChic said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love, love, love pumpkin pie.