Saturday, November 29, 2008

Daring Bakers Challenge -- Caramel Cake

example

This month's Daring Bakers challenge was a recipe for Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting, developed by Shuna Fish Lydon.

example

I took it upon myself to be extra-daring, and veganized the cake and frosting recipe. I followed the original recipe as closely as possible, making a few changes:
~ Earth Balance buttery sticks instead of butter
~ omiting salt in the recipes (since EB has plenty of salt)
~ 1 tablespoon EnerG egg replacer whipped with 4 tablespoons water instead of eggs
~ 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar added to the batter for extra lift
~ increasing the baking powder to 1 teaspoon, also for extra lift
~ almond milk instead of dairy milk (or cream called for in the frosting)

A fun cake -- something different from the usual chocolate and vanilla cakes! I'm glad I only make a half-batch of the frosting, because it is VERY sweet -- almost too sweet for me. I was only able to enjoy a small piece of this cake before going on complete sugar-overload!

Since I'm not much of a cake lover, I managed to pawn most of this cake off on coworkers, my boyfriend, and friends. It was well-received by all! (And of course, no one could believe it was vegan!)

~~~~~~~~~~

This month's hosts:
Dolores,
Alex,
Jenny,
and Natalie.
Thanks for the challenge!

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job with this! Glad you had so many people to share with. This did seem like a sugar overdose.

Cody said...

I ended up scraping all the frosting off and eating the cupcakes naked this afternoon. I didn't realize how much I loved the cake, because I'm not a fan of the frosting.

(Butter/margarine and I have never been close friends...)

Anonymous said...

Bravo for vegan cake! Yum!

Maryanna said...

Great job!!!

alana said...

This is gorgeous- mine came out really dense, but yours looks like a cloud. Maybe earth balance is the secret...

Catherine Weber said...

Alana, I bet the vinegar and extra baking powder helped. I tend to add both to vegan baked goods (because there are no eggs to make things "puff,") and I wonder if I overdid it a little bit?? I understand it was supposed to be pretty dense . . . mine still was, but not as dense as others!

BC said...

That is an amazing result with all the changes. I'm still gaping at your caramel post. Those must be the most expensive caramels. Ever.